Thursday, April 18, 2013

Week #8

Familius!

How are things?  Everything is fantastic down here in Florida.  My Spanish is picking up quite well, and the gift of tongues is a real thing. I am not quite sure what I want to talk about.  We have had a lot of good experiences here.  Every day we don't usually get out of the apartment until about one o'clock because since we have a foreign language and I am a new missionary in training, we have two extra hours of study time.  But it is alright because all of the Hispanics that we teach or try to contact are all working until late in the evening anyways.  Hispanics work a lot, which is a good thing, but that actually turns out to be investigators' biggest excuse for not fulfilling commitments.  But as long as we can get people to recognize the importance of this message, I think that we will have great success.

We have one investigator that is great, who our companionship will actually be losing when our area is split, but she is super great.  Her name is Mignon, she is the 75-year-old Cuban woman who is just super funny.  I have only had a couple lessons with her, but she came to church with us yesterday and spent almost the entire day with us at our Branch President's home.  I am glad that I am beginning to pick up on Spanish because she always has the funniest comments.  She gives nicknames to everyone that comes to her home, and since "Vawdrey" is difficult for Hispanics to pronounce, she has decided to call me "Elder Kennedy".  Love it.   She is just a kind lady, and in some ways she reminds me of Grandma Copier, but just a little more exuberant.  Her son Albaro is also speaking with us, and he always has lots of questions to ask.

Still no updates on the visa, but I'm not too worried about it.  I am doing great here.  I forget most of the time that I am going to be going somewhere else at some point.  Elder Correa will probably be happy when I do, because apparently I wake him up every night talking in my sleep.  Spanish, Portuguese, and English, he says.  I will have to get a recording at some point, because I want to know what it sounds like.

Mom, how is the Wallappeeeeeyneeey going?  Are my missionary blessings rolling in?  I was thinking a lot today about how great of a mom you were (and are) because when we were little kids, you would always take us around with you to Gardner Village and to the greenhouse and all of your landscaping jobs.  Even when we were a little bummed out to be there, it was way better than having to go to daycare or just sit at home.  So thanks so much!  That is definitely something that I want to do as a parent: include my children in all that I do.  

I don't have much to say, other than I love you!  I write in my journal everyday, so when I get back I will be able to share some more stories.  

Love your guts, and hope to hear from you all!

Love,
Elder Jon Hendrik Vawdrey

No comments:

Post a Comment