Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Week #43

Dear Family,

I hope my letter last week didn't sound like I was super depressed, because I wasn't.  I'm being patient with myself because it can be pretty hard jumping into a new culture without having some misunderstanding, but things are getting a lot better already.

We had some good fun this week, even though it was raining quite a bit.  There was one day that we went and did some service at Willy's house in the rain which was super legit.  It was raining a good bit, but that doesn't stop us.  We didn't want to get our shoes wet and muddy, so we decided to work out in the yard barefoot.  Oh man, it was so refreshing, just like old times, never wearing shoes.  The best.  What made it even better was that we spent half the time pruning and cutting down trees with a facão, which literally means "really big knife".  Afterwards we showered at his house and ate some fubá cake, which is the Brazilian equivalent to corn bread.

Marcelo's baptism was supposed to be this week, but because of his really hectic work schedule it didn't work out, but it's alright, we are going to catch him at home and get it all worked out.  I'll keep you updated.

Sorry, but I don't have too much to update you on about this week.  It was a pretty standard week, finding a few new people to work with and following up with some current investigators.  The language is coming along and I feel really good about my ability to talk with people, considering I only have two months here.  It's super crazy though that I have already been here for two months.  And today is my eleven month mark; I've almost been out a full year.  Madness!  

Elder Rock keeps telling me that he wants me to go to BYU, but I told him that I'm not going to break.  We have a lot of fun, he's probably my favorite companion that I've had so far.  Two Americans trying to figure things out in the heart of Brazil.

I love y'all so much and hope that things are going well.  Thanks for always being good examples!

Sincerely,
Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment